This brick may have been part of the fortified wall of Fort Hendrick, originally called Fort Amsterdam. The fort and wall, built by enslaved people owned by the Dutch West India Company, served to protect the Dutch colony from English and French attacks. The structure was originally constructed of hard packed earth or rubble in 1626, including materials like this brick, which is thought to be ballast, heavy materials used in sailing ships to improve stability which came to the colony from the Netherlands. The brick was gifted to the museum after 1903 by George Ward Vredenburgh, descendent of Isaac.
White wool blaket with embroidered blue border and crown. Records indicate that blanket was stolen from British officer’s tent by Capt. Samuel Augustus Clift during American Revolution.
1 pfennig coin, dated 1777, chipped
Section of wooden water main, excavated in 1949.
Large Revolutionary War-era mortar, or howitzer shell, with loops on either side of opening
Silhouette portrait of Madame Jumel, made in Saratoga, New York, in molded wood frame
Porcelain footbath with blue and polychrome floral decoration. Belonged to Madame Jumel.
Bohemian clear moulded and gilt glass goblet. Belonged to Madame Jumel