This brick may have been part of the fortified wall of Fort Hendrick, originally called Fort Amsterdam. The fort and wall, built by enslaved people owned by the Dutch West India Company, served to protect the Dutch colony from English and French attacks. The structure was originally constructed of hard packed earth or rubble in 1626, including materials like this brick, which is thought to be ballast, heavy materials used in sailing ships to improve stability which came to the colony from the Netherlands. The brick was gifted to the museum after 1903 by George Ward Vredenburgh, descendent of Isaac.

White wool blaket with embroidered blue border and crown. Records indicate that blanket was stolen from British officer’s tent by Capt. Samuel Augustus Clift during American Revolution.

1 pfennig coin, dated 1777, chipped.

Section of wooden water main, excavated in 1949.

Inscription: “Section cut from a length of old wooden water main land in New York City by the Manhattan Company in the year 1800 dug up in 1949. Bank of the Manhattan Company chartered 1799, 40 Wall Street, New York, New York”


Large Revolutionary War-era mortar, or howitzer shell, with loops on either side of opening.

Silhouette portrait of Madame Jumel, made in Saratoga, New York, in molded wood frame.

Porcelain footbath with blue and polychrome floral decoration. Belonged to Madame Jumel.

Bohemian clear glass goblet, molded and gilded. The gently flared body with six facets rests on a hexagonal foot and is ornamented with octagonal raised medallions. The surface is decorated with gilt bands and stylized flowers in gold. Belonged to Madame Jumel.